How to use Whatsapp Payments to send money to your contacts
WhatsApp Payments feature based on UPI is live for all users. How to add banks to WhatsApp Payments? How to send and receive money using WhatsApp Payments? A similar tool was introduced to Facebook’s Messenger app in 2015.
India has the world’s largest number of WhatsApp users, with 200 million people using the app daily. If you’ve linked your bank account to your mobile phone number, you’ll now be able to use the messaging application to transfer and receive money. WhatsApp Payments launch in India doesn’t come as a surprise as the company was making partnerships to enable the UPI-enabled payments on its platform.
What is WhatsApp Payments?
This is the peer-to-peer payment choice. Hence, you can’t use this for merchant payments. As mentioned above, it is UPI (Unified Payments Interface) based platform. The money will be directly credited to recipient’s bank account.
Also, as you are sending money to WhatsApp user who has linked his phone number with the bank account and UPI (Unified Payments Interface), there is no need to enter the VPA (Virtual Payments Address) or bank account number or IFSC code.
Who can use WhatsApp Payments?
You must have WhatsApp app on your phone. Both sender and receiver should be running the latest WhatsApp version as well as have WhatsApp Payments option permitted. WhatsApp number should be same as your mobile number linked to your bank account with UPI (Unified Payments Interface) option support as well.
In order to make payment through WhatsApp, please follow the following instructions mentioned below:
- Open WhatsApp
- Click on three dots on the top right corner
- Click on settings
- You will see the option “Payments” just below notification and tap on that.
- On the next screen tap on “ACCEPT AND CONTINUE”.
- This will ask you to verify your mobile number using SMS, Click on “VERIFY VIA SMS”.
- App will send you an SMS and use the same and complete the verification process.
- Now you will see a list of all UPI supported banks. The format is usually the bank name and the last four digits of your bank account.
- If you have multiple accounts within the same bank, it will show multiple options. Pick the one you want to link to the app. Select your bank.
- App will fetch details and show your bank account number.
- After this, you will see the message saying setup complete.
How to change or delete bank account in WhatsApp Payments?
Use this feature if you have multiple bank accounts and want to add, change or link another bank account.
- Open WhatsApp
- Click on the three dots on top right and tap on Payments.
- Click on “add new account’ and you will see the list of banks.
- Once you select your bank account, it will fetch details and add the account.
- You can either set up this account as your primary account to send and receive payments or you can remove also.
- By Clicking on bank, you will see the option of setting the bank as primary or secondary bank to receive or send payment.
How to send money?
- Open individual chat (to whom you want to send money).
- Click on the “Clip” icon and there you will find the option “Payment”. Just click on this payment option.
- If the receiver has latest WhatsApp version and bank account configured, you can enter the amount followed by a note (a message) and tap on the send button.
- It will ask you to enter 4 digits UPI pin.
- Once you enter and authenticate then the money will be sent.
- You will also get the details of the transaction from your bank as an SMS.
The procedure to send the money in a WhatsApp group is also same. You just have to select a person in a group to whom you want to send the money.
Once the transaction is complete, WhatsApp will inform the user about the money sent to a contact. You can also keep a track of Payments from within the WhatsApp, by using the Payment history option